Standing 400 feet tall, the new ACUITY Insurance Flagpole is the tallest flagpole in North America. Visible from a considerable distance, the flagpole is located on the company's headquarters campus along Interstate 43 between Milwaukee and Green Bay on Lake Michigan.
Erecting a flagpole of such height where temperatures frequently fall below zero has required a team of experts to ensure structural integrity and maintainability. The pole supports a 60-foot-wide by 120-foot-long American flag. A brick paver patio featuring the names of Sheboygan County residents killed in active duty is installed at the flagpole's base.
- 400-foot flagpole weighs approximately 420,000 pounds
- There are two versions of the 60- by 120-foot flag:
- 220 pound flag is flown during normal conditions
- 350 pound flag is flown during harsher weather
- Each star is 3 feet high and each stripe is 4 1/2 feet wide
- 680 cubic yards of concrete used in foundation
- Over 500 gallons of paint cover the pole
- 11-foot diameter at base tapers to 5 1/2-foot diameter at top
- Three pendulum-style tuned mass dampers reduce movement and vibration
- Designed to withstand a low temperature of -42°F