Lean Innovation Project Manager
Innovation, a collaborative customer, process improvement, and the ability to implement lessons learned on your next build. It's what our data center roles offer our team members day in and day out. We're building hyperscale data center campuses and leveraging a program-focused approach. That means our team members meet the demand of complex, MEP-heavy data centers while also growing their careers on these builds. And that demand shows no sign of slowing down.
The data center market demand is on track to increase almost 22% every year through 2026. That demand has put an unbelievable opportunity in front of technology providers--and the construction companies who build these data centers.
Mortenson is currently seeking an experienced Lean Innovation Project Manager to support the Operating Group to outline and implement its Lean Innovation agenda on large data center projects. You will define and execute Project Standard Work through the application of Lean Innovation methods and capabilities Strong communication skills are necessary as you will be interacting with staff at all levels in an ever-changing environment. Your ability to remain flexible, inventive, dedicated, and efficient with a high level of integrity and confidentiality is vital to your success in this role.
What will you be doing?
- Work effectively with the Mortenson project team, Customer, Design Partners, Trade Partners and the larger project team to support the development of a lean and innovative culture and high performance in all aspects of the broad project team function.
- Work effectively with Construction Executives, Field Operations Managers, Project Managers, Project Superintendents and other Project staff to develop ‘Project Standard Work’ and to support the project team in adhering to that Project Standard Work
- Assess progress, 'health' of the program, team with the Operating Group to develop a detailed and measurable plan for executing and sustaining that improvement
- Facilitate and inspire the Operating Group’s contribution to Mortenson’s Best Practices Database, the Lean Innovation Playbook, and the Mortenson Innovation Board through the development and sharing of work practices, methods and success stories
- Support the Operating Group in effectively communicating its agenda and plans, progress, outcomes and capabilities to inform, engage, inspire and celebrate these improvements
- Facilitate application of Mortenson’s core Lean Innovation methods to improve self-performed craft work, including supporting Superintendents, Foremen and Craft Workers in the introduction, training and follow-up on use of these methods
- Support the project team in documenting the project’s processes (project standard work) in an accessible format, to support onboarding of new Team Members and Trade Partners and maintain consistency and reliability of work processes
- Support a robust implementation of the Last Planner System and related planning and scheduling processes, to achieve reliable workflow. Includes coordinating external resources, coordinating critical training and implementation events (e.g. Boot Camps, Phase Planning Sessions, Weekly Work Plan sessions) and supporting the project senior superintendent and other project leaders to establish all aspects of the Last Planner System.
- Support the project team in developing a strategy, game plan and roles and responsibilities for engaging self-perform crews and Trade Partners in the successful implementation of a 5S program to ensure just-in-time material delivery, best-in-class material handling, and an impressively clean job site throughout the duration of all scopes of work.
- Serve as conduit for application of LeadBLU principles and practices to encourage collaborative, trust-building behaviors (Do the Right Thing, We Before Me and Inspire What’s Possible).
- Develop relationships of trust with field leaders (Superintendent and Foremen) that enable meaningful exploration and buy-in to new ways of working
- Support the project team in developing innovative solutions to pressing problems, develop rapid prototyping processes to develop and field test new ways of working to create value for the customer and the team, and document and communicate these innovations to the Group.
How will you succeed?
- Minimum of six years’ experience using lean methodologies
- Construction industry experience preferred
- Experience, coursework or certification in Lean, Six Sigma, Operational Excellence or Supply Chain is a plus
- Ability to effectively interface and facilitate lean concepts with customers, designers, engineers, trade partners and other business partners
- Adaptive, effective communication and active listening skills
- Excellent problem solving and detail oriented innovation skills
- Knowledge of Equal Employment Opportunity, Affirmative Action, and inclusive behaviors
- Strong cross-cultural relationship building and influencing at all organizational levels
- Proven record of including diverse team members when assigning challenging and high-profile tasks
- Judgment and resource management, including the ability to direct / redirect their own efforts and any additional Lean Innovation resources to the areas of the greatest need
- Leadership through influence and personal relationships (leadership without authority)
- Current driver’s license
- Bachelor’s degree in Engineering or related field; or equivalent experience
Mortenson is an EOE/Affirmative Action/M/F/Veteran/Disabled employer.