Lean Innovation Superintendent
Mortenson’s success is not a matter of luck; it’s a result of our ingenuity, expertise, and exceptional people coupled with our unparalleled focus on customer service.
Our foundation and culture are based upon our company values of trust, safety, teamwork, responsibility, service and stewardship. We are inspired by a compelling purpose to build structures and facilities for the advancement of modern society and a mission to create an exceptional customer experience. Mortenson has built a reputation for being a leader in our industry and in the communities in which we live and work.
It all starts with our exceptional people and exceptional teams. Mortenson has been voted a "best place to work" over 40 times regionally since 2002…
…What are you waiting for?!
The Big Picture – Where do you fit in?
Mortenson is currently seeking a process-oriented Lean/Change Management Expert with hands-on experience leading Lean initiatives in a construction environment. Excellent written and verbal communications skills are vital, with attention to detail equally important. The Lean Innovation Superintendent will identify and lead Lean activities to improve team member and customer experience on the project assigned as well as advance our ability to reduce cost and secure future data center work in a rapidly evolving industry.
Meet electrical superintendent Sheldon Lincoln on our solar team
Read what it's like to be an electrical superintendent on the solar team. Sheldon's a mentor and teacher at heart. Find out what makes Mortenson, and his role, a perfect fit.Meet sheldon ⟶
What will you do?
Organization, flexibility, outstanding customer focus and strong communication are critical in performing duties which include, but are not limited to:
- Coordinate on-site Lean Innovation activities to develop a ‘Lean project culture’:
- Hands-on process improvement through working with technicians on task optimization
- Support a robust implementation of the Last Planner System and related planning and scheduling processes, to achieve reliable workflow. Includes coordinating external resources, coordinating critical training and implementation events (e.g. Boot Camps, Phase Planning Sessions, Weekly Work Plan sessions) and supporting the project senior superintendent and other project leaders to establish all aspects of the Last Planner System.
- Support the project team in developing a strategy, game plan and roles and responsibilities for engaging self-perform crews and Trade Partners in the successful implementation of a 5S program to ensure just-in-time material delivery, best-in-class material handling, and an impressively clean job site throughout the duration of all scopes of work.
- Lead Focused Improvement activities in the field using plan-do-check-act methodology
- Serve as conduit for application of LeadBLU principles and practices to encourage collaborative, trust-building behaviors (Do the Right Thing, We Before Me and Inspire What’s Possible)
- Organize team building and respectful workplace activities at the project and craft level
- Train foremen and craft on the principles of flow and waste identification
- Support implementation of daily and weekly visual performance management for the project, including Safety, Quality, Productivity, Schedule and Equipment metrics for the project
- Bring technological solutions to our field staff to improve ability to measure & manage work
- Use Lean methodology to optimize the crew size and sequence of various construction activities
- Act as a Lean Innovation liaison to other project, operating groups and business services
- Build business cases to justify investment in new ways of working on the data center project
- Update Standard Work Instructions based on best practices discovered in the field, including photos, video
What will you need to succeed?
- Minimum of 6 years construction experience.
- Successful experience as a Construction site superintendent, with experience as a Mortenson Superintendent preferred.
- Familiarity with Mortenson’s Lean Innovation approach and methods
- Experience, coursework or certification in Lean, Six Sigma, Operational Excellence or Supply Chain is a plus
- Proven ability to connect big-picture business drivers with day to day improvement activities
- Organize and manage multiple project tasks at a given time
- Possess mastery of Microsoft Excel, Word, Outlook, SharePoint and other standard business applications
- Possess ability to quickly learn various business intelligence software, geographic information systems and any application used to plan and execute Wind project work
- Proven positive and professional attitude, and strong customer service skills
- Ability to interpret and communicate Mortenson policies
- Current driver’s license
Mortenson is an EOE/Affirmative Action/M/F/Veteran/Disabled employer.
100% travel with two week rotations and/or relocation is avaialble as well.
**No Agency e-mails, calls or solicitations accepted**