MEP Project Engineer II
Innovation, a collaborative customer, process improvement, and the ability to implement lessons learned on your next build. It's what our data center roles offer our team members day in and day out. We're building hyperscale data center campuses and leveraging a program-focused approach. That means our team members meet the demand of complex, MEP-heavy data centers while also growing their careers on these builds. And that demand shows no sign of slowing down.
The data center market demand is on track to increase almost 22% every year through 2026. That demand has put an unbelievable opportunity in front of technology providers--and the construction companies who build these data centers.The Big Picture:
Mortenson is currently seeking an experienced MEP Project Engineer to review, provide analysis, management, and resolution for Mechanical, Electrical, and Plumbing (MEP) field coordination issues with project team members and participants. Excellent communication skills are necessary as you will be interacting with staff at all levels in an ever-changing environment. Your ability to remain flexible, inventive, dedicated, and efficient with a high level of integrity and confidentiality is vital to your success in this role.
EXPECTATIONS OF ALL TEAM MEMBERS
At Mortenson, we believe everyone is a leader. For that reason, every team member is expected to apply our leadership principles – Do the Right Thing, We Before Me and Inspire What’s Possible – in their work. This means we act with dependability, initiative and a positive attitude to produce high quality work and deliver an exceptional customer experience. We are on time, productive and consistent in our attendance. We approach work as part of a team, listen to the opinions of others and cooperate to achieve project goals. We accept direction from supervisors and seek out constructive feedback. We follow rules and procedures to ensure quality work and safeguard the wellbeing of ourselves and others. We push to exceed the established goals, standards and accountabilities of our positions to increase quality, safety and innovation.
All team members are responsible for supporting a diverse, equitable and inclusive work environment, as well as positively contributing to our company culture. This begins by aligning with Mortenson’s values and ethical standards as stated in the Mortenson Code of Ethics and Business Conduct, in addition to abiding by the procedures and practices outlined in the Mortenson Operations Manual.
Organization, flexibility, extraordinary customer focus and strong communication are critical in performing duties which include, but are not limited to:
Interpret project plans, specifications, and details for subcontractors and craft persons
- Implement the pre-construction quality plan
- Obtain and maintain all necessary construction permits and work with Project Manager for fee payments or recurring permit expenses
- Develop and maintain: Material Tracking List, Project Test and Inspection Listing, Non-Conformance Report
- Develop equipment coordination, furnishings, fixtures matrices, and coordination matrix for source sizing, compatibility, and control of equipment provided or installed under the contract
- Manage, create, and distribute contract documents
- Lead and direct the 3-D coordination process to resolve all conflicts prior to installation
- Establish handling procedures for electronic documents, including Request for Information (RFI) and correspondence
- Incorporate all processes and procedures that support the project closeout phase
Lead all aspects of testing and inspection processes for the construction quality management program
- Implement three-phase inspection system
- Establish reporting formats, protocols, schedules, and any off-site testing procedures
- Notify the Project Manager and Superintendent promptly of test results or inspection items that do not conform to contract requirements
- Assist the commissioning process on the project inclusive of the startup plan, COT, commissioning schedule, and functional testing
- Set up register in accordance with project specifications and obtain customer/architect’s approval
- Prepare project-specific transmittal forms in PCMS
- Coordinate the packaging, review, and processing of submittals
- Expedite submittals to ensure material deliveries are in sync with the project schedule
- Communicate details and requirements for the submittal process to subcontractors and suppliers,
- Issue submittal requirement letters that outline packaging and processing requirements
- Provide periodic updates of the submittal register to the customer or architect
- Coordinate details of various subcontractors, including verifying insurance, preparing paperwork, and requesting final payment from Finance
- Lead all activities required in the project closeout inclusive of operations and maintenance manuals, model turn over, and training
Develop and distribute RFIs and Change Orders
- Define and implement procedures for posting revisions and updates to as-build construction documents
- Incorporate subcontractor as-built documentation in the procedures for revising or updating contract documents
Other duties as assigned, including:
- Determine alternative work methods as needed
- Coordinate safety and compliance for all team members
Maintain schedule of timelines and follow through until completionHow will you succeed?
- Detail orientation sufficient to organize and run multiple project tasks
- Possess basic understanding of construction law and generally accepted business practices
- Strong teamwork orientation, initiative, communication, problem-solving, and leadership skills
- Microsoft Office, project and pertinent web application skills at an intermediate level
- Positive professional attitude and customer service skills
- Ability to interpret and communicate Mortenson policies
- Minimum three years construction experience, preferably experience with a Mechanical or Electrical Contractor
- Current driver’s license
- Bachelor’s degree in Construction, Civil, or Architectural Engineering or Construction Management or equivalent field experience
Mortenson is an EOE/Affirmative Action/M/F/Veteran/Disabled employer.