Senior MEP Project Manager I
Mortenson’s success is not a matter of luck; it’s a result of our ingenuity, expertise, and exceptional people coupled with our unparalleled focus on customer service.
Our foundation and culture are based upon our values of trust, safety, teamwork, responsibility, service and stewardship. We are inspired by a compelling purpose to build structures and facilities for the advancement of modern society and a mission to create an exceptional customer experience. Mortenson has built a reputation for being a leader in our industry and in the communities in which we live and work.
It all starts with our extraordinary people and collaborative teams. Mortenson has been voted a "best place to work" over 40 times since 2002…
…What are you waiting for?
The Big Picture:
Mortenson is currently seeking an experienced Senior MEP Project Manager to provide overall direction and leadership on a Mechanical, Electrical, and Plumbing (MEP) dominant data center project or for MEP scopes of work on medium to large data center related projects. Your duties may include the management of project quality, timeliness, safety, as well as mentoring the project team. You will also develop and improve customer relationships by providing excellent service. Strong communication skills are necessary as you will be interacting with staff at all levels in an ever-changing environment. Your ability to remain flexible, inventive, dedicated, and efficient with a high level of integrity and confidentiality is vital to your success in this role.
What will you be doing?
Supervise the overall financial health of data center projects
- Develop and maintain project financial projections and equipment projections
- Determine and allocate project estimate into financial system
- Figure out cost codes, approve invoices, and make necessary budget management decisions
- Provide financials and billings to Accounting for timely payment
- Create monthly owner billings
Handle subcontracts and suppliers
- Oversee budget for and make selections of trade partners and suppliers
- Handle billings and contract management, including contract buyouts
- Supervise the 3-D coordination process to resolve all conflicts prior to installation
- Direct and handle the commissioning process on the project inclusive of the startup plan, COT, commissioning schedule, and functional testing
- Lead all activities required in the project closeout inclusive of operations and maintenance manuals, model turn over, and training
Lead Assistant Project Manager(s) and Project Engineer(s)
- Provide job assignments and lead career development
- Approve time cards for on-site team members
- Provide ongoing feedback of work performance
Function as the main point of contact with the owner and on-site representative
- Assist with the review of the owner agreement
- Resolve site concerns for the owner and/or representative
- Provide frequent interactions and service to build positive relationships and future work opportunities
- Work closely with data center owners and design engineers on the specifics of the the mechanical and electrical systems.
Handle change orders
- Decide when to submit to the owner or on-site representatives
- Obtain the customer/architect’s approval
Lead team members by example, offer effective coaching and feedback, and effectively manage performance
Other duties as assigned, including:
- Maintain schedule and budget until project completion
- Provide high level management of quality, risk, safety, and compliance for the project and team members
How will you succeed?
- Demonstrate ability to fulfill development to closeout responsibilities for complex projects
- Detail orientation sufficient to organize and run multiple project tasks
- Possess basic understanding of construction law and generally accepted business practices
- Microsoft Office, project and pertinent web application skills at an intermediate level
- Positive and professional attitude, and strong customer service skills
- Ability to interpret and communicate Mortenson policies
- Minimum eight years construction management experience, preferably experience with a Mechanical or Electrical Contractor
- Factory witness testing experience, specific to chillers, boilers, emergency generators etc.
- Ability to review the sequence of operations and the commissioning test scripts to ensure that the project start up and commissioning is successful
- Minimum five years’ experience building mission critical projects
- Current driver’s license
- Bachelor’s degree in Construction, Civil, or Architectural, Mechanical, and/or Electrical Engineering or equivalent field experience
Mortenson is an EOE/Affirmative Action/M/F/Veteran/Disabled employer.
Additional project locations - UT and IA.
This position can be based in any region but there's a high level of travel to specific project locations.