Business Development Engineer
Mortenson’s success is not a matter of luck; it’s a result of our ingenuity, expertise, and exceptional people coupled with our unparalleled focus on customer service.
Our foundation and culture are based upon our values of trust, safety, teamwork, responsibility, service and stewardship. We are inspired by a compelling purpose to build structures and facilities for the advancement of modern society and a mission to create an exceptional customer experience. Mortenson has built a reputation for being a leader in our industry and in the communities in which we live and work.
It all starts with our extraordinary people and collaborative teams. Mortenson has been voted a "best place to work" over 40 times since 2002…
…What are you waiting for?
The Big Picture:
Mortenson is currently seeking an experienced Business Development Engineer to assist in the implementation of Business Development goals. Excellent written and verbal communication skills are necessary as you will interact with staff at all levels in an ever-changing environment. Your ability to remain flexible, inventive, dedicated and efficient with a high level of integrity and confidentiality will be vital to your success in this role.
What will you be doing?
- Provide assistance to the manager of and director on market sector positioning, and lead research for current and future markets
- Serve as a networking link with engineering consultants and subcontractors
- Perform research, compile market data, customer cold calling, and networking in support of business lead prospecting efforts
- Assist with scheduling customer meetings and other customer engagement activities
- Engaged in establishing and nurturing strategic business partnerships and customer relationships
- Assist in development of annual strategic business plan
- Support and lead position plans for specific markets, customers, and projects
- Perform technical writing for proposals, qualifications, submittals and branding materials
- Ensure schedules and various aspects of the proposal (Technical Scope, Staff Qualification and Experience, and Biographical Data, etc.), as well as marketing materials are accurate and delivered in a timely manner
- Support proposal preparation, including gathering, verifying, and formatting proposal information
- Help prepare materials for customer presentations and attend pre-proposal meetings
- Perform general coordination of information between business development and preconstruction
- Coordinate and participate in business development activities such as trade show appearances, conventions, and conferences
- Support your team members with administrative functions, such as meeting minutes, customer happiness surveys, file maintenance, lead data management, financial projections, and customer data management
How will you succeed?
- Demonstrated knowledge of North American power delivery market and the participants, specifically utilities, independent transmission providers (ITPs), independent power producers (IPPs), original equipment manufacturers (OEMs)
- Possess knowledge of construction law and generally accepted business practices
- Proficient in engineering, procurement, and construction (EPC) delivery methods, specifically substation and transmission line design, equipment and construction
- Display Microsoft Office, project, and pertinent web application skills at an intermediate level
- Current driver’s license
- Minimum three years power generation and/or power delivery experience or prior equivalent experience
- Persuasive, persistent, winsome self-starter motivated by challenge and change
- Effectively work with those of diverse backgrounds and organizational levels
- Adaptive, effective communication and active listening skills
- Consistent record of including diverse team members when assigning challenging and high-profile tasks
Travel of up to 50% of time may be necessary to fulfill your objectives in the position
- Bachelor’s degree in Business, Marketing, Construction Management, Engineering or related field
Mortenson is an EOE/Affirmative Action/M/F/Veteran/Disabled employer.