Civil Structural - Design Engineering Intern (Summer 2021)
Mortenson’s success is not a matter of luck; it’s a result of our ingenuity, expertise, and exceptional people coupled with our unparalleled focus on customer service.
Our foundation and culture are based upon our company values of trust, safety, teamwork, responsibility, service and stewardship. We are inspired by a compelling purpose to build structures and facilities for the advancement of modern society and a mission to create an exceptional customer experience. Mortenson has built a reputation for being a leader in our industry and in the communities in which we live and work.
It all starts with our exceptional people and exceptional teams. Mortenson has been voted a "best place to work" 38 times regionally over the past decade…
…What are you waiting for?!
Mortenson is currently seeking a project based Engineer Intern to support our Engineering Services team. This individual will participate in routine engineering assignments involving basic engineering techniques and principles for high voltage substation and transmission projects through 500kV. Candidates will work closely with other engineering and design team members to coordinate overall design package and requirements. The intern will perform a broad scope of engineering assignments of basic difficulty. Some responsibilities include:
- Perform data analysis and basic engineering tasks for completion of small tasks
- Perform basic engineering calculations required for simple designs across 34.5Kv and above specs
- Project engineering support for proposals, estimating, procurement and construction pertaining to steel and concrete design
- Support the growth of the group by assisting and/or leading the implementation of new design procedures and/or standards
- Basic project management and analytical problem solving
- Following Mortenson's zero injury safety requirements
Project Assignment: Minneapolis, MN - Headquarters
You will join an exciting and ever-changing industry with a minimum 12-week internship with our team. Mortenson internships are available year-round, including fall (September – December), spring (January – May) and summer (May – August).
Cultivate your skills in your chosen field of study and build your career with Mortenson. We look forward to hearing from you if you:
- Are currently pursuing an undergraduate, four-year degree in Civil Engineering or other related degree
- Previous expereince in Design Engineering
- Have access to reliable transportation
- Possess a current driver’s license
Are you adaptable and an agile learner? Do you have big ideas and a creative spirit? Are you driven to make a positive difference through your work? We want to hear from you. You are perfect for this opportunity if you:
- Have previous related internship experience
- Have achieved a minimum overall GPA of 3.0 / 4.0
- Are currently enrolled as an undergraduate freshman, sophomore or junior
- Are detail-oriented, organized, and can effectively handle multiple tasks
- Possess the right to work in the U.S. that is not based solely on possession of a student visa or a visa sponsored by a third-party employer
- Have a basic understanding of construction law and generally accepted business practices
- Demonstrate strong collaboration, communication, and problem-solving skills and show initiative
- Showcase a positive and professional attitude and solid customer service skills
Mortenson is an EOE/Affirmative Action/M/F/Veteran/Disabled employer.