Electrical Engineer I - Previous Mortenson Interns Only
Mortenson’s success is not a matter of luck; it’s a result of our ingenuity, expertise, and exceptional people coupled with our unparalleled focus on customer service.
Our foundation and culture are based upon our values of trust, safety, teamwork, responsibility, service and stewardship. We are inspired by a compelling purpose to build structures and facilities for the advancement of modern society and a mission to create an exceptional customer experience. Mortenson has built a reputation for being a leader in our industry and in the communities in which we live and work.
It all starts with our extraordinary people and collaborative teams. Mortenson has been voted a "best place to work" over 40 times since 2002…
…What are you waiting for?
The Big Picture:
Join the team committed to crafting inspiring spaces and developing new ways to build. Mortenson is currently seeking dynamic and motivated individuals with the ability to work well with a variety of staff at all levels in an ever-changing environment, remaining flexible, inventive, proactive and efficient with a high level of professionalism and confidentiality. Joining us as an Electrical Engineer, you will provide technical electrical support throughout the entire construction project. This is a field-based position. This posting is exclusively for those who have interned with Mortenson previously.
What will you be doing?
- Provide technical lead and support for electrical portions of work project
- Determine best layout of collection system; including consideration of constraints such as overhead/underground, follow roads/cross country, and junction box locations
- Review manufacturer’s data to determine extent of scope for electrical portion of project; including wiring requirements and electrical characteristics (i.e. grounding requirements, power factor ranges, lightning protection requirements, generator outputs, etc.)
- Verify that construction is in agreement with electrical engineering design drawings, including preparatory meetings, and QA/QC
- Manage and lead the electrical engineering design and equipment procurement through use of submittals, transmittals, and requests for information
- Provide technical expertise to all parties concerned
- Ensure subcontractors understand the scope of project during bidding process and provide electrical engineering resource throughout the project
- Communicate with local utilities to ensure the project can interconnect to the electrical grid
- Perform loss calculations (100% output/annualized)
- Develop one-line diagrams of collection a system and substations, as well as standard details of electrical construction that are typical to Mortenson projects
- Other duties as assigned
- Maintain relationships with all visitors to the site: customers, architects, union representatives, subcontractors, et al.
- Manage site work and logistics efficiently, providing suggestions for improvement
- Effectively work and build relationships with those of diverse backgrounds and organizational levels
New Hires may have the opportunity to join our team in one of the following industries:
- Data Center
- Power Distribution
- Battery Storage
- Solar and Emerging Renewables
Get ready to join an exciting and ever-changing industry and work with best-in-class teams to deliver the highest possible quality service to our customers. It is likely and anticipated for Mortenson team members to participate on traveling project assignments throughout their careers. Placement with one of our teams will be provided based on the overall needs of the organization. Depending upon the industry and its needs, frequent mobility / travel may be required. We are currently seeking individuals to join us in 2022.
- Previous Mortenson internship experience
- Will possess a bachelor’s degree in Electrical Engineering by summer 2022
- Are willing to be mobile / relocate frequently, for project assignments, based on needs of the business
- Possess the right to work in the U.S. that is not based solely on possession of a student visa or a visa sponsored by a third-party employer
- Possess a current driver’s license
- Access to reliable transportation
- Are detail-oriented, organized, and can effectively handle multiple tasks
- Are passionate about working effectively with teams of diverse backgrounds and varying organizational levels
- Demonstrate strong collaboration and communication skills and show initiative and leadership
- Demonstrate a propensity to identify and solve issues in the field
- Showcase a positive and professional attitude and exemplary customer service skills
- Basic understanding of construction law and generally accepted business practices
- Working knowledge of NEC code and NE safety code
EOE/Affirmative Action/M/F/Veteran/Disabled employer.