Electrical Engineer - Solar
Mortenson’s success is not a matter of luck; it’s a result of our ingenuity, expertise, and exceptional people coupled with our unparalleled focus on customer service.
Our foundation and culture are based upon our values of trust, safety, teamwork, responsibility, service and stewardship. We are inspired by a compelling purpose to build structures and facilities for the advancement of modern society and a mission to create an exceptional customer experience. Mortenson has built a reputation for being a leader in our industry and in the communities in which we live and work.
It all starts with our extraordinary people and collaborative teams. Mortenson has been voted a "best place to work" over 40 times since 2002…
…What are you waiting for?
The Big Picture:
Mortenson is currently seeking an Electrical Engineer I responsible for providing electrical technical support throughout the entire construction project.
What will you be doing?
- Provide technical lead and support for electrical portions of work project
- Determine best layout of collection system; including consideration of constraints such as overhead/underground, follow roads/cross country, and junction box locations
- Review manufacturer’s data to determine extent of scope for electrical portion of project; including wiring requirements and electrical characteristics (i.e. grounding requirements, power factor ranges, lightning protection requirements, generator outputs, etc.)
- Verify that construction is in agreement with electrical engineering design drawings, including preparatory meetings, and QA/QC
- Manage and lead the electrical engineering design and equipment procurement through use of submittals, transmittals, and requests for information
- Provide technical expertise to all parties concerned
- Ensure subcontractors understand the scope of project during bidding process and provide electrical engineering resource throughout the project
- Communicate with local utilities to ensure the project can interconnect to the electrical grid
- Perform loss calculations (100% output/annualized)
- Develop one-line diagrams of collection a system and substations, as well as standard details of electrical construction that are typical to Mortenson projects
- Other duties as assigned
- Maintain relationships with all visitors to the site: customers, architects, union representatives, subcontractors, et al.
- Manage site work and logistics efficiently, providing suggestions for improvement
- Effectively work and build relationships with those of diverse backgrounds and organizational levels
Our projects are typically nine-to-twelve months in duration, located in rural communities throughout the United States. Team Members are on-site and will work rotational schedules, with rotations every three weeks to go home. They are also required to be 100% mobile. Project placement will be determined by the business and based on overall needs of the organization. We are currently seeking individuals to join us in summer 2021. This is a field-based position, this is not a design position.
How will you succeed?
- Bachelor’s degree in Electrical Engineering by summer 2021
- Have the right to work in the U.S. that is not based solely on possession of a student visa or a visa sponsored by a third-party employer
- Are willing to be mobile/relocate frequently (Ability to travel up to 100%)
- Possess a current driver’s license and have access to reliable transportation
- Strong teamwork orientation, initiative, communication, problem-solving, and leadership skills
- Detail orientation sufficient to organize and manage multiple project tasks
- Possess basic understanding of construction law and generally accepted business practices
- Microsoft Office, project and pertinent web application skills at an intermediate level
- Positive and professional attitude, and strong customer service skills
- Ability to interpret and communicate Mortenson policies
- Active listening skills and effective communication including an openness to diverse input and feedback
- Previous related internship experience a plus
- Working knowledge of NEC code and NE safety code preferred
- Basic understanding of construction techniques and project management practices
EOE/Affirmative Action/M/F/Veteran/Disabled employer.