Field Engineer - Solar
Mortenson’s success is not a matter of luck; it’s a result of our ingenuity, expertise, and exceptional people coupled with our unparalleled focus on customer service.
Our foundation and culture are based upon our values of trust, safety, teamwork, responsibility, service and stewardship. We are inspired by a compelling purpose to build structures and facilities for the advancement of modern society and a mission to create an exceptional customer experience. Mortenson has built a reputation for being a leader in our industry and in the communities in which we live and work.
It all starts with our extraordinary people and collaborative teams. Mortenson has been voted a "best place to work" over 40 times since 2002…
…What are you waiting for?
The Big Picture:
Are you passionate about the construction industry? Do you love to collaborate and work as a team?
Mortenson is currently seeking a Field Engineer to support and complete the full cycle of field coordination issues. You will be collaborating with staff at all levels including team members, subcontractors, vendors, and suppliers. Demonstrating flexibility, resourcefulness, dedication, and efficiency with a high level of integrity and confidentiality will be vital for success.
What will you be doing?
Organization, flexibility, excellent customer focus and strong communication are critical in performing duties which include, but are not limited to:
Provide pre-construction support
- Lead the submittal and RFI processes for specific definable features of work (DFW), utilizing PMA and other Project Connect programs completely to closure
- Evaluate project design and engineering documents, ensuring their organization and distribution to necessary parties
- Perform project specific tasks in preparation of the team mobilizing to site
- Conduct advance research on living arrangements for project team members
- Prepare turnover binder templates
- Assist with the preparation of Pre-Mobilization Kickoff meetings
- Compile, contact, and arrange for short form subcontracts with local entities at the project site
- Power, trailers, housing, local subcontractors, etc.
- Assist in drafting subcontracts and purchase agreements
- Review and utilize the Best Practice Database for SWIs, quality documents, prep meetings, etc
Lead all aspects necessary for construction support
- Run the quality assurance & quality control process as delineated in the Project Quality Plan
- Handle the inventory process as materials arrive to site: inspection, offload, receiving, and storage
- Coordinate DFW prep meetings, initial inspections, follow-up inspections, punch list final inspections
- Assist Project Manager and Project Superintendents as needed regarding material and equipment management (pickup trucks, rented/owned equipment, coordinate the equipment facility)
- Manage mechanical, electrical, and plumbing coordination drawings, shop and as-built drawings
- Coordinate creation of lift and formwork drawings
- Manage production logs for work put in place (self-performed or subcontracted)
- Track Event Management incidents regarding Safety or Quality in DFW responsibilities
Administer closeout processes
- Compile turnover documentation for specific DFW and transfer to customer per the project specific quality and TSO plan
- Assist Project Engineer and Project Manager with getting contract documents closed out with subcontractors and suppliers
- Support the final inspections and punch list process with the customer for particular DFW responsibilities
- Provide periodic updates of the submittal register to the customer or architect
Other duties as assigned, including:
- Participate in project safety audits and Mortenson’s Zero Injury Safety Program
- Establish alternative work methods as needed
- Maintain schedule of timelines and follow through until completion
Our projects are typically nine-to-twelve months in duration, located in rural communities throughout the United States. Team Members are on-site and will work rotational schedules, with rotations every three weeks to go home. They are also required to be 100% mobile. Project placement will be determined by the business and based on overall needs of the organization. We are currently seeking individuals to join us in summer 2021.
We are interested in candidates who have an interest in mechanical systems to review, provide analysis, management, and resolution for Mechanical, Electrical and Plumbing (MEP) field coordination. We are currently seeking dynamic and motivated individuals with the ability to work well with a variety of team members at all levels. Join a team that will not only push the construction industry to new places but allow you to quickly grow both technical and interpersonal skills.
How will you succeed?
- Bachelor’s degree in Mechanical, Construction or Civil Engineering, Construction Management, or related field by summer 2021
- Have the right to work in the U.S. that is not based solely on possession of a student visa or a visa sponsored by a third-party employer
- Are willing to be mobile/relocate frequently
- Possess a current driver’s license and have access to reliable transportation
- Understanding of mechanical systems
- Detail orientation sufficient to organize and effectively run multiple tasks
- Possess basic understanding of construction law and generally accepted business practices
- Strong teamwork orientation, initiative, communication, and analytical skills
- Positive and professional attitude and customer service skills
- Current driver’s license and have access to reliable transportation