Responsible for routine engineering assignments involving basic engineering techniques and principles for high voltage substation and transmission projects through 500 kV and for performing a broad scope of engineering assignments of basic difficulty requiring knowledge in engineering-related disciplines.
At Mortenson, we believe everyone is a leader. For that reason, every team member is expected to apply our leadership principles – Do the Right Thing, We Before Me and Inspire What’s Possible – in their work. This means we act with dependability, initiative and a positive attitude to produce high quality work and deliver an exceptional customer experience. We are on time, productive and consistent in our attendance. We approach work as part of a team, listen to the opinions of others and cooperate to achieve project goals. We accept direction from supervisors and seek out constructive feedback. We follow rules and procedures to ensure quality work and safeguard the wellbeing of ourselves and others. We push to exceed the established goals, standards and accountabilities of our positions to increase quality, safety and innovation.
All team members are responsible for supporting a diverse, equitable and inclusive work environment, as well as positively contributing to our company culture. This begins by aligning with Mortenson’s values and ethical standards as stated in the Mortenson Code of Ethics and Business Conduct, in addition to abiding by the procedures and practices outlined in the Mortenson Operations Manual.
- Responsible for working closely with other engineering and design team members to coordinate overall design package and requirements
- Evaluate, select, and apply standard engineering techniques, procedures, and criteria by using judgment in making adaptations and modifications and providing interpretations and conclusions with support from other Engineers
- Responsible for the relay protection & control engineering aspects on substation and transmission design projects
- Interface and present to multiple stakeholders (e.g. customer decision makers, project teams, etc.)
- Perform data analysis and basic engineering tasks for completion of small projects
- Perform basic engineering calculations required for simple designs across 69Kv and above scopes
- Assist with the review and approval of equipment vendor drawings and test reports on equipment from manufacturers with Lead Engineers review and approval
- Provide engineering support for proposals, estimating, procurement and construction
- Conduct project detailed designs aligned with our customer requirements and Mortenson’s best practice standards
- Coordinate with other engineering disciplines and Design Phase Managers to successfully deliver design projects
- Verify that construction is in agreement with electrical engineering design drawings, including preparatory meetings, and QA/QC
- Assist in the development and evaluation of the technical requirements for fabrication and construction tender packages
- Assist in researching engineering and design issues, evaluating alternatives, making sound recommendations and preparing and presenting recommendations
- Assist field personnel in resolving unanticipated site conditions
- Effectively work and build relationships with those of diverse backgrounds and organizational levels
- All other duties as assigned
- Basic understanding of discipline specific technical designs, QA/QC procedures, and engineering policies
- Basic knowledge of engineering principles, business standards, practices, procedures, and product / program requirements
- Basic project management and analytical problem-solving skills
- Working knowledge of or are familiar with software packages: ASPEN, ETAP, PSSE, CDEGS, AutoCAD, Microstation, Primtech, etc.
- Developing knowledge in system modeling, relay coordination studies, and development of associated protective relay settings for systems ranging from 34.5 kV to 500 kV
- Basic understanding of the T&D industry
- Active listening skills and effective communication including an openness to diverse input and feedback
- Ability to travel up to 50%
- Bachelor’s degree in Electrical Engineering or related Engineering program
- Engineering-in-Training (EIT) certification or achievement of EIT within 6 months of entering position with the expectation of achieving a PE license in the future
This position requires the following with or without an accommodation; sitting, seeing, hearing, and utilization of a computer and office equipment. The working environment consists of indoor and climate-controlled settings.
This position description is not intended to be a comprehensive list of the duties and responsibilities of the position. The duties and responsibilities of this position may change without notice.
Visa Sponsorship is not available for this position.