The University of Minnesota Field House is a versatile recreational facility that is managed by Recreation Sports and Wellness and home to the University of Minnesota Track and Field teams. The building was originally built in the early 1900s and used as an airplane hangar by the U.S. Government in Washington state. Following WWII, the building was donated to the University of Minnesota and transported here by train in 1949.
The Field House hasn’t received any major exterior rework since it was moved here. The exterior façade of the building featured very few windows and Cemesto panels, a hazardous asbestos-containing material. These panels deteriorated over the years, exhibiting cracks, punctures, and peeling paint. Mortenson removed them and replaced them with new insulated metal panels and a translucent aluminum glazing system.
On the inside of the building, new ventilation and mechanical systems were installed that are suitable to support crowds of up to 1,500 people. We installed new track and turf flooring to bring the facility up to NCAA standards. Additionally, for the first time in the 70 years on the UMN campus, the wood structured building is fully equipped with sprinklers.
The Field House now has an updated, modern look that reflects the University’s commitment to enhancing existing assets.
To move the building in 1949, the wood structure was disassembled and transported by train.
Facts And Figures
78,000 square feet