Mortenson’s success is not a matter of luck; it’s a result of our ingenuity, expertise, and exceptional people coupled with our unparalleled focus on customer service.
Our foundation and culture are based upon our values of trust, safety, teamwork, responsibility, service and stewardship. We are inspired by a compelling purpose to build structures and facilities for the advancement of modern society and a mission to create an exceptional customer experience. Mortenson has built a reputation for being a leader in our industry and in the communities in which we live and work.
It all starts with our extraordinary people and collaborative teams. Mortenson has been voted a "best place to work" over 40 times since 2002…
…What are you waiting for?
The Big Picture:
Mortenson is currently seeking a Senior Accountant to prepare timely and accurate financial information for reporting to internal and external customers, including the Board of Directors of M.A. Mortenson Company and related entities. You should prepare financial information in compliance with applicable regulatory and technical accounting regulations. You will maintain and monitor the accuracy of financial information through analytical review, recommending and maintaining internal controls, and reconciliation of general ledger accounts. Strong communication skills are necessary as you will interact with staff at all levels in an ever-changing environment. Your ability to remain flexible, inventive, dedicated, and efficient with a high level of integrity and confidentiality is vital to your success in this role.
What will you be doing?
- Complete month-end financial close activities, including preparation and posting of journal entries supported by appropriate documentation, analytical review of account activity, and research.
- Identify and pursue opportunities to streamline financial close processes and assist in implementing improvements identified.
- Prepare monthly / quarterly account reconciliations and supporting documentation for assigned accounts. Assist in the development of enhanced reporting / analysis of data to support account reconciliations and related accounting activities.
- Prepare all financial reports in compliance with generally accepted accounting principles (GAAP) and ensure they are supported by a well-documented audit trail.
- Prepare schedules for quarterly analysis package to support financial statement review.
- Compile, organize, and submit financial information required for external surveys.
- Ensure accounting processes and activities align with internal policies and technical accounting requirements. Assist in documenting and reviewing process flows related to key accounting transactions / activities to clearly articulate and assess the relevant impact to affected financial processes and accounts.
- Work with external auditors on interim and year-end audit activities. Coordinate / serve as the primary client contact for audits related to joint ventures and employee benefit plans.
- Perform ad hoc analysis and participate in special projects, as identified.
How will you succeed?
- Public accounting experience preferred
- Minimum 4 years of relevant work experience, including prior experience preparing journal entries, account reconciliations, and external audit documentation requests
- Advanced Microsoft Excel and Word skills
- Detail orientation and organizational skills sufficient to support multiple concurrent projects
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Open to change based on diverse input and feedback
- Effectively work with those of diverse backgrounds
- Adaptive, effective communication and active listening skills
- Strong cross-cultural relationship building and influencing at all levels of the organization
- Bachelor's degree in Accounting and/or Finance
- CPA designation preferred
Mortenson is an EOE/Affirmative Action/M/F/Veteran/Disabled employer.
Visa Sponsorship is not available for this position.