Workforce Development Manager
Mortenson’s success is not a matter of luck; it’s a result of our ingenuity, expertise, and exceptional people coupled with our unparalleled focus on customer and team member experience.
Mortenson has built a reputation for being a leader in our industry and within the communities in which we live and work. Our vibrant and inclusive culture is activated by a commitment to the principles of: Do The Right Thing, We Before Me & Inspire What’s Possible and built on a legacy of values synonymous with Mortenson: Trust, Safety, Teamwork, Responsibility, Service and Stewardship. We are inspired by a compelling purpose to build structures and facilities for the advancement of modern society and a mission to create an exceptional customer experience. Exciting, right? It all starts with our exceptional people and exceptional teams.
Mortenson is honored to receive 40+ Top Workplace Awards since 2002.
The Big Picture:
Mortenson is seeking a Workforce Development Manager to oversee engagement with community partners, suppliers and internal teams. She/He will build and maintain strong relationships, implementing innovative strategies in development of workforce partnerships, training programs and recruiting strategies.
What you will be doing:
Represent Mortenson in community organizations and help maintain a positive profile in the community.
Drive engagement of project teams in one group or region in the development and implementation of community participation programs and activities, including:
- Workforce development
- Supplier diversity
- Community engagement
Identify and implement workforce development processes and systems to meet specified project workforce goals.
Provide community participation and workforce development progress to goals to the VP/GM, Project Executive, onsite project team and owner team.
Develop key relationships/partnerships with local Workforce Agencies, Trades Organizations, Sub-Contractors Community based organizations, Political and Educational institutes to establish workforce development programs.
Partner with local and regional community Continuous Quality Improvement (CQI) workforce leaders to proactively identify opportunities in construction and building trades; workforce management which includes the development of workforce partnerships, training programs and recruiting strategies.
Develop relationships with regulatory agencies and compliance officers
- Direct the preparation and submission of regulatory agency applications, reports, or correspondence
- Review all regulatory agency submission materials to ensure timeliness, accuracy, comprehensiveness, and compliance with regulatory standards
Prepare and execute report outs for workforce related programs and initiatives. Reports include providing status updates, results against goals and other communication/ planning activities for workforce management, as well as, the identification of trends, issues and concerns.
Manage workforce projects and provide industry research, expertise benchmarking and identifying industry best practice workforce models.
Work with community and partners to find individuals interested in careers in construction who are not currently employed in construction trades or project management. Develop relationships with local organizations that can provide a pool of qualified candidates. Work with potential candidates and with local organizations
to close workforce skills gap to increase candidates’ marketability to project stakeholders.
Collaborate with project team and subcontractors to fill initial career paths as outlined in Workforce Development Plan and Contract Scope Reviews; track all individuals actively engaged in workforce development programming.
Establish relationships with small, women and minority businesses, contractor and community-based organizations.
Identify organizations with opportunities to collaborate.
Analyze information including participation in the community and research on trends, laws, issues, and concerns, identify trends, and share action plans to further with Mortenson's Community Affairs efforts
Attend and host community events and meetings.
Provide project and program level support to the VP of Community Affairs to meet all community affairs efforts.
Effectively work and build relationships with those of diverse backgrounds and organizational levels.
Lead team members by example, offer effective coaching and feedback, and manage performance.
How you will succeed:
- Ability to interact with a diverse population and build relationships quickly
- Excellent interpersonal and organizational skills
- Ability to handle multiple projects with varying deadlines simultaneously
- Proficient skills in Microsoft Word, Excel, Outlook and Power Point
- Knowledge of data analysis and reporting
- Strong cross-cultural relationship building and influencing at all organizational level
- Proven track record of including diverse team members when assigning challenging and high-profile tasks
- Active listening skills and effective communication including an openness to diverse input and feedbac
- Knowledge of Equal Employment Opportunity, inclusive behaviors, and Affirmative Action plans and their intended use
- Preferred ability to influence without authority
- Bachelor’s degree preferred, if no bachelor’s degree, high school diploma/GED required 5+ years of work force development experience including the development, implementation and management of workforce development programs.
- 3 -5 years of experience in Workforce Development
- Previous experience interacting with company and community leaders
- Must have the ability to work and office in the far west suburbs.
Mortenson is an EEO/Affirmative Action/M/F/Veteran/Disabled employer