Electrical Design Phase Manager
Mortenson’s success is not a matter of luck; it’s a result of our ingenuity, expertise, and exceptional people coupled with our unparalleled focus on customer service.
Our foundation and culture are based upon our company values of trust, safety, teamwork, responsibility, service and stewardship. We are inspired by a compelling purpose to build structures and facilities for the advancement of modern society and a mission to create an exceptional customer experience. Mortenson has built a reputation for being a leader in our industry and in the communities in which we live and work.
It all starts with our exceptional people and exceptional teams. Mortenson is honored to receive 40+ Top Workplace Awards since 2002…
Be a part of the rapidly expanding renewables market and help Mortenson teams and clients lead the industry in helping deliver clean power across the country. Mortenson’s rapidly expanding Energy Storage & Solutions team is looking for energized and experienced pre construction talent.
…What are you waiting for?!
Mortenson is currently seeking an experienced Design Phase Manager interested in working in battery storage and distributed energy infrastructure with the ability to interact with a variety of staff at all levels in an ever-changing environment, remaining flexible, resourceful, proactive and efficient with a high level of professionalism and confidentiality. Aptitude to anticipate problems, critical issues and opportunities as they arise; along with the capability to creatively problem solve and bring together viable solutions. Excellent written and verbal communications skills are vital, with attention to detail equally important. The Design Phase Manager will ensure overall project leadership during the design (preconstruction) phase as it relates to customer experience, financial performance, schedule, estimating, design and planning that results in a smooth transition to construction operations. May work on two or more projects simultaneously or one larger project.
Manage the design process
- Work closely with customers/owners to define completed project expectations and success goals, including key factors to focus on within the design phase,
- Facilitate the solicitation, selection, and contracting with designers for design build projects
- Develop and/or lead the preparation and presentation of project proposals
- Develop detailed project design phase and baseline construction schedules
- Conduct detailed construction planning, including contract manual, subcontractor selections, MWBE and DB participation, trade and site utilization planning, disruption avoidance planning, owner direct purchase planning, all within principles of Lean Design Delivery and utilization of BIM/VDC technology
- Lead design team members in facilitating designs incorporating constructability, logistics solutions, identifying customers’ expectations, and critical success factors, providing meaningful input to project’s programming and conceptual design activities.
- Lead estimating team members in development of technical design aspects of project including drawing, specifications and scheduling, in addition to cost documentation.
- Manage costs of the design phase, including estimate preparation, technical estimating, valued engineering, life-cycle analysis and budgetary/financial management
- Ensure regulatory approvals are obtained and risk management requirements are met for insurance, bonding, owner contract, and subcontractor T & Cs
- Implement LEED tracking and analysis
Oversight and supervision of design phase team members
- Mentor Design Phase Engineers and encourage career development and growth
- Ensure team members have resources and support
- Provide work direction for Design Phase Engineers
Other duties as assigned
- Model and set the tone for exceptional customer relations, gathering feedback and clarification during design process, as well as identifying future projects and collaboration
- Manage site work and logistics efficiently, providing suggestions for improvement
- Design optimization skills that involve technical parameters but taking into account economic feedback for decisions.
- Strong teamwork orientation, initiative, technical and other communication, problem-solving, and leadership skills
- Wholistic project understanding, to put together an all-encompassing scope with parts and engineering scopes.
- Detail orientation sufficient to organize and manage multiple project tasks
- Possess basic understanding of construction law and generally accepted business practices
- Display proficiency in Excel, Word, Project Controls software (Procore/Unifier), Project Schedule software (Primavera P6/ASTA/ MS Project and pertinent web application skills at an intermediate level
- Proven positive and professional attitude, and strong customer service skills
- Ability to interpret and communicate Mortenson policies
- Minimum six years relevant design phase or construction experience
- Experience in inverter, DC battery technology preferred but not required
- Electrical design and/or construction experience preferred but not required
- Current driver’s license
- Bachelor’s degree in Construction, Civil, or Architectural Engineering, Construction Management, Estimating, MEP or equivalent field or experience
Mortenson is an EOE/Affirmative Action/M/F/Veteran/Disabled employer.