MEP Project Engineer I
Mortenson’s success is not a matter of luck; it’s a result of our ingenuity, expertise, and exceptional people coupled with our unparalleled focus on customer service.
Our foundation and culture are based upon our values of trust, safety, teamwork, responsibility, service and stewardship. We are inspired by a compelling purpose to build structures and facilities for the advancement of modern society and a mission to create an exceptional customer experience. Mortenson has built a reputation for being a leader in our industry and in the communities in which we live and work.
It all starts with our extraordinary people and collaborative teams. Mortenson has been voted a "best place to work" over 40 times since 2002…
…What are you waiting for?
The Big Picture:
Are you passionate about the construction industry? Do you love to collaborate and work as a team?
Mortenson is currently seeking an experienced MEP Project Engineer to review, provide analysis, management, and resolution for Mechanical, Electrical, and Plumbing (MEP) field coordination issues with project team members and participants. Excellent communication skills are necessary as you will be interacting with staff at all levels in an ever-changing environment. Your ability to remain flexible, inventive, dedicated, and efficient with a high level of integrity and confidentiality is vital to your success in this role.
What will you be doing?
Organization, flexibility, extraordinary customer focus and strong communication are critical in performing duties which include, but are not limited to:
- Interpret project plans, specifications, and details for subcontractors and craft persons
- Implement the pre-construction quality plan
- Obtain and maintain all necessary construction permits and work with Project Manager for fee payments or recurring permit expenses
- Develop and maintain: Material Tracking List, Project Test and Inspection Listing, Non-Conformance Report
- Develop equipment coordination, furnishings, fixtures matrices, and coordination matrix for source sizing, compatibility, and control of equipment provided or installed under the contract
- Manage, create, and distribute contract documents
- Lead and direct the 3-D coordination process to resolve all conflicts prior to installation
- Establish handling procedures for electronic documents, including Request for Information (RFI) and correspondence
- Incorporate all processes and procedures that support the project closeout phase
Lead all aspects of testing and inspection processes for the construction quality management program
- Implement three-phase inspection system
- Establish reporting formats, protocols, schedules, and any off-site testing procedures
- Notify the Project Manager and Superintendent promptly of test results or inspection items that do not conform to contract requirements
- Assist the commissioning process on the project inclusive of the startup plan, COT, commissioning schedule, and functional testing
- Set up register in accordance with project specifications and obtain customer/architect’s approval
- Prepare project-specific transmittal forms in PCMS
- Coordinate the packaging, review, and processing of submittals
- Expedite submittals to ensure material deliveries are in sync with the project schedule
- Communicate details and requirements for the submittal process to subcontractors and suppliers,
- Issue submittal requirement letters that outline packaging and processing requirements
- Provide periodic updates of the submittal register to the customer or architect
- Coordinate details of various subcontractors, including verifying insurance, preparing paperwork, and requesting final payment from Finance
- Lead all activities required in the project closeout inclusive of operations and maintenance manuals, model turn over, and training
Develop and distribute RFIs and Change Orders
- Define and implement procedures for posting revisions and updates to as-build construction documents
- Incorporate subcontractor as-built documentation in the procedures for revising or updating contract documents
Other duties as assigned, including:
- Determine alternative work methods as needed
Coordinate safety and compliance for all team members
- Maintain schedule of timelines and follow through until completion
How will you succeed?
- Detail orientation sufficient to organize and run multiple project tasks
- Possess basic understanding of construction law and generally accepted business practices
- Strong teamwork orientation, initiative, communication, problem-solving, and leadership skills
- Microsoft Office, project and pertinent web application skills at an intermediate level
- Positive professional attitude and customer service skills
- Ability to interpret and communicate Mortenson policies
- Minimum one year construction experience, preferably experience with a Mechanical or Electrical Contractor
- Current driver’s license
- US Citizenship Required
- Bachelor’s degree in Construction, Mechanical or Electrical Engineering, Architectural or Civil Engineering or Construction Management
Mortenson is an EEO/Affirmative Action/M/F/Veteran/Disabled employer