Safety Engineer II
Mortenson’s success is not a matter of luck; it’s a result of our ingenuity, expertise, and exceptional people coupled with our unparalleled focus on customer service.
Our foundation and culture are based upon our company values of trust, safety, teamwork, responsibility, service and stewardship. We are inspired by a compelling purpose to build structures and facilities for the advancement of modern society and a mission to create an exceptional customer experience. Mortenson has built a reputation for being a leader in our industry and in the communities in which we live and work.
It all starts with our exceptional people and exceptional teams. Mortenson has been voted a "best place to work" 38 times regionally over the past decade…
…What are you waiting for?!
Mortenson is currently seeking a passionate Safety Engineer with the ability to interact with a variety of staff at all levels in an ever-changing environment, remaining flexible, resourceful, proactive and efficient with a high level of professionalism and confidentiality. The Safety Engineer will work to implement Mortenson’s Zero Injury Safety program at a project site and ensure a safe work environment for team members, subcontractors, and visitors to the construction work site.
Organization, flexibility, outstanding customer focus and strong communication are critical in performing duties which include, but are not limited to:
Implement and administer safety program at each worksite for team members
Assist project management team in developing and executing site specific safety program and activities
- Attend, coordinate, and conduct safety orientation and training programs at the project level
- Document and track all safety violations, unsafe conditions, etc.
- Conduct work area safety audits
- Conduct project’s leading and trailing indicator data/document collection and trend analyses
- Conduct or assist with major incident analysis
- Record, monitor, and analyze Safety, Injury and Hazard statistics
- Coordinate OSHA reporting and posting requirements
- Review Safety Submittals and attend preconstruction and preparatory meetings with subcontractors
- Monitor and review trade partner work plans and activities for safety concerns
- Assist with onsite injury management and case management
- Monitor Return to Work and Modified duty assignments
- Assist with the organization and implementation of project safety celebrations and recognition/reward programs
- Participate in and contribute to project planning and hazard analysis
Provide resource of safety related information
- Evaluate and offer solutions for industrial hygiene concerns
- Maintain operational knowledge of construction safety, OSHA, ANSI, and other applicable standards, regulations, laws, and procedures
- Serve as resource for safety issues or concerns for all project team members
- Attend and/or chair safety meetings
Other duties as assigned
- Interface with client safety personnel, union representatives, insurance risk engineers etc.
- Accompany safety, health, insurance and OSHA personnel on work-site tours
- Ensure maintenance and inspection of safety equipment and protective wear
- Maintain project site Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) and assist the Project Manager with the management of the safety budget allocated for project
- Previous related internship preferred
- Detail orientation sufficient to organize and manage multiple project tasks
- Ability to work in Microsoft Office and pertinent safety related software programs
- Proven positive and professional attitude, and strong customer service skills
- Ability to interpret and communicate Mortenson policies to team members and outside parties
- Strong teamwork orientation, initiative, communication, problem-solving, and leadership skills
- Effective public speaking and presentation skills
- Current driver’s license
- Bachelor’s degree in safety, occupational health or related field or
- High school diploma, STS/CHST Certification, OSHA 30 Hour Training with a minimum of seven years of continuous construction experience leading crews and planning work including at least five years with responsibility for managing safety programs at the crew or project level, conducting / reviewing hazard analyses and developing controls, and planning work activities or equivalent experience in a relevant field
- Minimum of one-year related experience
- Current driver’s license
Mortenson is an EOE/Affirmative Action/M/F/Veteran/Disabled employer.