Mortenson’s success is not a matter of luck; it’s a result of our ingenuity, expertise, and exceptional people coupled with our unparalleled focus on customer service.
Our foundation and culture are based upon our values of trust, safety, teamwork, responsibility, service and stewardship. We are inspired by a compelling purpose to build structures and facilities for the advancement of modern society and a mission to create an exceptional customer experience. Mortenson has built a reputation for being a leader in our industry and in the communities in which we live and work.
It all starts with our extraordinary people and collaborative teams. Mortenson has been voted a "best place to work" over 40 times since 2002…
…What are you waiting for?
Are you passionate about safety in construction? Are you looking for a position where you can influence behavior and drive positive change? Do you love working with people and inspiring them to do what is right?
As a Safety Engineer at Mortenson, you will interact with a variety of people to implement Mortenson’s Zero Injury program. You will work at a project site and ensure a safe work environment for team members, subcontractors, and visitors. If you thrive in an ever-changing environment, are flexible, inventive, dedicated and efficient, you'll love working on our team!
Assist project management team in developing and executing site specific safety program and activities
- Attend, coordinate, and conduct safety orientation and training programs at the project level
- Provide resource of safety related information
- Evaluate and offer solutions for industrial hygiene concerns
- Document and track all safety violations, unsafe conditions, etc.
- Conduct work area safety audits
- Conduct project’s leading and trailing indicator data/document collection and trend analyses
- Conduct or assist with major incident analysis
- Record, monitor, and analyze Safety, Injury and Hazard statistics
- Coordinate OSHA reporting and posting requirements
- Review Safety Submittals and attend preconstruction and preparatory meetings with subcontractors
- Monitor and review trade partner work plans and activities for safety concerns
- Assist with onsite injury management and case management
- Monitor Return to Work and Modified duty assignments
- Assist with the organization and implementation of project safety celebrations and recognition/reward programs
- Participate in and contribute to project planning and hazard analysis
- Maintain operational knowledge of construction safety, OSHA, ANSI, and other applicable standards, regulations, laws, and procedures
- Serve as resource for safety issues or concerns for all project team members
- Attend and/or chair safety meetings
Other duties as assigned
- Collaborate with client safety personnel, union representatives, insurance risk engineers etc.
- Accompany safety, health, insurance and OSHA personnel on work-site tours
- Ensure maintenance and inspection of safety equipment and protective wear
- Maintain project site Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) and assist the Project Manager with the management of the safety budget allocated for project
New hires may be placed in one of the following businesses / industries (Bolded groups are the industries with the highest needs):
- Chicago Office
- Civil Operating Group
- Battery Storage
- Data Center Group
- Denver Office
- Federal Contracting Group
- Milwaukee Office
- Minneapolis Office
- Phoenix Office
- Portland Office
- Power Distribution
- Salt Lake City Office
- Seattle Office
- Solar and Emerging Renewables Group
- Sports and Entertainment Group
- Washington D.C. Office
- Wind Energy Group
Safety Engineers will spend most their time in the field and may travel often between multiple sites. This position will be in the field as well as in a trailer office. It is likely and anticipated for Mortenson team members to participate on traveling project assignments throughout their careers. Placement with one of our teams will be provided based on the overall needs of the organization. Depending upon the business / industry, frequent mobility may be required. We are currently seeking individuals to join us in 2024.
- Bachelor’s degree in safety, occupational health or related field by summer 2024
- Right to work in the U.S. that is not based solely on possession of a student visa or a visa sponsored by a third-party employer
- Are willing to be mobile / relocate frequently for project assignments, based on needs of the business
- Possess a current driver’s license and have access to reliable transportation
- Previous relevant internship experience
- Detail orientation sufficient to organize and manage multiple project tasks
- Proven positive and professional attitude, and strong customer service skills
- Ability to interpret and communicate Mortenson policies to team members and outside parties
- Strong teamwork orientation, initiative, communication, problem-solving, and leadership skills
- Effective public speaking and presentation skills
- Must be able to handle exposure to dirt, heat, noise, dust, and a trailer office environment
The base compensation range for this role is $71,100-$88,900. This position is eligible for a potential annual bonus. Base pay is positioned within the range based on several factors including an individual’s knowledge, skill and experience with consideration given to internal equity.
Mortenson provides a comprehensive benefit program to team members and their families to support their health, build long term financial security and provide the opportunity for work and life balance.
Benefits offered to non-craft, non-union, full-time team members include:
- Medical and prescription drug plans – choice between two affordable HSA-eligible medical plans that include vision coverage, expert medical second opinion, tobacco cessation program and fertility benefits
- Dental plan
- 401k retirement plan with generous matching and profit-sharing contributions
- Paid time off, holidays, bereavement, parental leave and other paid leaves
- Life, AD&D, business travel accident and disability insurance
- Employee assistance program and online mental health tool and concierge
- Tuition reimbursement
- Adoption Assistance
- Gym Membership Discount Program
- Identity Theft Protection
Visa sponsorship is not available for this position. H-1B lottery registration submission and completion of the STEM OPT I-983 training plan are considered sponsorship.
Mortenson is an EOE/Affirmative Action/M/F/Veteran/Disabled employer.