Safety Manager - Solar Group
Mortenson’s success is not a matter of luck; it’s a result of our ingenuity, expertise, and exceptional people coupled with our unparalleled focus on customer service.
Our foundation and culture are based upon our company values of trust, safety, teamwork, responsibility, service and stewardship. We are inspired by a compelling purpose to build structures and facilities for the advancement of modern society and a mission to create an exceptional customer experience. Mortenson has built a reputation for being a leader in our industry and in the communities in which we live and work.
It all starts with our exceptional people and exceptional teams. Mortenson has been voted a "best place to work" 40 times regionally over the past decade…
…What are you waiting for?!
The Big Picture:
Mortenson is currently seeking a passionate Safety Manager with the ability to interact with a variety of staff at all levels in an ever-changing environment, remaining flexible, resourceful, proactive and efficient with a high level of professionalism and confidentiality. The Safety Manager will provide management, leadership, direction and support within Mortenson’s Zero Injury Safety program for multiple project teams and construction sites. The Safety Manager may also have supervisory responsibility to one or more safety professionals.
What will you be doing?
Organization, flexibility, outstanding customer focus and strong communication are critical in performing duties which include, but are not limited to:
Provide safety oversight, leadership and direction in the implementation of the Zero Injury Safety program across multiple project sites
- Lead project management teams in developing site specific safety program and activities
- Identify training needs and conduct safety orientation and training programs, including train-the trainer sessions
- Review Safety Submittals and attend preconstruction and preparatory meetings with subcontractors
- Provide professional direction and mentorship to Safety, Senior Safety Engineers and Coordinators
- Oversee documentation, tracking and analysis of all Safety, Injury and Hazard statistics, trend analyses, and OSHA reports
- Conduct work area safety audits
- Conduct or assist with major incident analysis
- Monitor and review subcontractor activities for safety concerns
- Manage Return to Work and Modified Duty program
- Interface with Risk Management department
- Review project work plans to ensure safety is adequately incorporated
Provide resource of safety related information
- Evaluate and offer solutions for industrial hygiene concerns
- Maintain operational knowledge of construction safety, OSHA, ANSI, and other applicable standards, regulations, laws, and procedures
- Serve as resource for safety issues or concerns for all project team members/operating group management
Other duties as assigned, which may include;
- Responsible for the mentoring, management, and timely performance evaluation of safety engineers
- Support Operating Group Safety Director and Safety Leadership Team in achieving and maintaining operating group safety performance metrics
- Interface with client safety personnel, union representatives, industry groups, etc.
- Accompany safety, health, insurance and OSHA personnel on work-site tours
- Ensure maintenance and inspection of safety equipment and protective wear
- Contribute in the annual review process of operating group safety engineers as requested
How do you succeed?
- Minimum seven years of construction safety experience
- Supervisory experience, minimum of seven plus years
- Experience overseeing large self-perform construction projects
- Detail orientation sufficient to organize and run multiple project tasks
- Ability to work in Microsoft Office and pertinent safety related software programs
- Positive professional attitude, and strong customer service skills
- Ability to interpret and communicate Mortenson policies to team members and outside parties effectively
- Strong teamwork orientation, initiative, communication, problem-solving, and leadership skills
- Effective public speaking and presentation skills
- Current driver’s license
- Travel 100% plus
- Bachelor’s degree in safety, occupational health, or equivalent plus a minimum of seven years of construction safety experience or a high school diploma, CHST Certification, OSHA 500 and a minimum of 12 years of continuous construction experience leading crews and planning work, to include at least 7 years as a dedicated construction safety professional responsible for managing project safety programs, conducting / reviewing hazard analyses and developing controls, conducting safety training, and planning work activities or equivalent experience in a relevant field. Experience must include providing support to multiple project sites simultaneously.
- Certified Safety Professional (CSP) certification preferred
- Current valid driver’s license
Mortenson is an EOE/Affirmative Action/M/F/Veteran/Disabled employer.