News + insights
Inside Mortenson Construction's Pearl District Office
July 28, 2017
Mortenson Construction recently completed one of the more unusual tenant improvement projects in Portland when it moved to the Crane Building at 710 Northwest 14th Ave., and did tenant improvements for itself, using parts of a century-old Oregon...
Mortenson Construction Renovates its own new office
August 07, 2017
The Crane Building in the Pearl remodeled from warehouse to office reusing antiques
Article published by the Portland Business Tribune
Another warehouse in the Pearl District has been transformed on the inside, this one located along Portland's 13th Avenue...
We’re excited to announce Mortenson Oregon’s relocation from a 4,000 square foot office space on SW Alder street to a newly renovated 9,000 square foot office in the heart of Portland’s Pearl district. Mortenson has been working in Oregon for 30 years, and officially opened an office to support their construction activities in 2012. To aid our recent growth, the group needed a larger office space. Resident Mortenson Superintendent Blake Haldeman led the charge on remodeling the new office within the historic Crane building. The Crane Building, designed in the American Movement Commercial Style, was built in 1909 as an office, sales center and warehouse for the Crane Plumbing Company. As part of the renovation, Mortenson reclaimed wood from a 100 year old barn in Colton, Oregon and repurposed it for the office’s workspaces and trim. Mortenson focused on honoring the character and essence of both the Crane building and the Colton barn into the new space.
Mortenson Oregon Office Features:
- Reclaimed barn wood was repurposed into cabinetry, work stations, welcome desk, bike rack and an art timeline wall. Some of the wood also serves as focal piece wood-walls in conference rooms.
- Wood species used in the office include: Douglas fir, lodge pole pine and Ponderosa pine.
- Douglas Fir barn raters were re-purposed as baseboards.
- Office also features an antique refrigerator door from the mid-1920’s, with hinges designed by Paul Daemicke, found in the basement of a salvage store in Aurora.
- Antique crosscut saw found in the Colton Barn is displayed in the office training room.
- A conference room table was constructed using an 1890’s door from an estate on Portland’s east side.
- Each conference room is named for a Portland bridge, with a matching etch on the glass.
- Stepping off the elevator, the office welcomes you in with a mural which features the misty trees of Oregon (Painted by April Mehls).
- Exposed brick and large industrial windows and lighting add character to the office space.
- Brick painting in kitchenette matches that of the original building signage on the first Mortenson office.
- Barn tin and shiplap was also repurposed into the new Mortenson space.