The Reardon Rectory was erected in 1927-1928 as a residence and business office for the rector and assistant priests of The Basilica. Along with the sacristy, the building was designed by St. Paul architects Slifer and Abrahamson. It replaced two frame houses located on the east side of the church, which served as a rectory from 1914 to 1927.
The apartments once occupied by young priests and housekeepers have now largely been converted into offices for the Administrative, Life, Learning, and Liturgy department staff, as well as meeting rooms. In 2015 the fourth floor was remodeled to house our archives and art collection as well as a consultation room and several offices. The renovation included adding an exit stair from the fourth floor to the third floor, providing air conditioning to the entire building, renovation of selected restrooms, and other miscellaneous updates needed.
Facts And Figures
Completed January 2016
22,400 square feet