Mortenson led a design-build team to complete this new public parking garage located directly behind the Village of Glen Ellyn Civic Center.
Completed in May 2021, the new garage accommodates 277 stalls within a five-level structure; four stories above-grade and one below. It serves Metra commuters, businesses, residents, visitors to Glen Ellyn, as well as Civic Center employees and other Civic Center tenants. To provide better access between the new parking garage and the businesses downtown, two adjacent buildings were demolished to make way for a new pedestrian plaza.
Architectural precast panels with in-laid brick tiles and simulated limestone were designed to help preserve the Village’s rich historic character and complement the architectural style of the Civic Center. As a landmarked property, review and approval of the design by the Village’s Historic Preservation Commission was required.
This project was proudly completed with zero injuries.
Other parking garage facts:
- 5,000 cubic yards of concrete
- 114,238 bricks cast into the exterior walls
- 72 steel piles installed 30’ deep around the garage to support the excavation
- 1,619 dump trucks of soil excavated
- Heaviest precast panel weighed 63,000 lbs
- 550-ton crane was used for precast erection
- 45 feet tall
- 20-30 workers on site on a daily basis
Facts And Figures
Completion: May 2021